Reports To: President – U.S. Engineering Construction
Every member of the U.S. Engineering family is expected to understand and consistently demonstrate the following Core Values:
- Exhibit integrity in everything we do.
- Listen, identify and respond to customer needs.
- Provide quality, on schedule, at a competitive price.
- Respect, challenge and recognize each team member.
- Ensure a safe working environment.
Responsible for providing overall leadership and management within the functions of business development, estimating, and preconstruction services, for an assigned regional project development team. This includes responsibility for the strategic alignment, profitability, growth, and management of personnel within the group.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities:
- Establishes and implements goals for the assigned team that are in alignment with the company’s overall strategic and business plans, initiatives, etc. This includes the development of policies, procedures, structures and performance standards, within the boundaries of corporate policies and guidelines.
- Actively participates in strategic planning and directs activities within the business development team that support and sustain the company’s profitability and growth.
- Participates on the Management Committees for the company (U.S. Engineering Construction), and U.S. Engineering Company Holdings.
- Responsible for the divisional leadership of all project development functions; including business development, estimating and preconstruction services.
- Responsible for building and fostering effective relationships with project owners, primary clients, general contractors, subcontractors, vendors, etc. to leverage business opportunities.
- Partners with the Vice President of Operations to achieve the overall goals of the company in that region. Maintains a balance of working towards this team’s specific goals while working with counterpart to help achieve their respective goals.
- Provides support for the pursuit, estimating and proposal development of Solutions projects at the request of the team responsible for that work .
- Ensures strategic alignment and synergy with peer executives in other regions in order to meet the overall objectives of U.S. Engineering Construction. This includes a focus on financial and profitability targets, safety performance, and championing the organization’s cultural norms.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate regional database of projects procured and project opportunities.
- Responsible for regional projection of revenue. This includes partnering with the Vice President of Operations, President, and Chief Financial Officer to combine the regional backlog with database of projected projects.
- Responsible for the effective management and leadership of all project development team members. This includes oversight of estimating teams, preconstruction teams, and business development teams. Scope of responsibility includes recruitment and selection, performance management, learning and development, mentorship, succession planning, and administration of human resources policy and procedure.
- Partners with the President to establish the project development budget for assigned division. Approves requisitions for equipment, materials, and supplies within limits of budget. May negotiate contracts with outside suppliers and vendors.
- Develops specific objectives and strategies to maintain an overall effective regional business development program. Secures profitable work necessary to achieve the regional and company growth goals.
- Responsible for ensuring assigned team performs ongoing research to identify potential target project pursuits.
- Directs and supervises the development of major proposals and presentations. Trains and prepares proposed project teams to deliver effective presentations.
- Provides direction and stays active as necessary in the proposal and estimating review process, including “closing the sale”. Assists in final contract negotiations with clients as necessary.
- Responsible for the development and execution of bid and preconstruction strategy for regional operations. Includes facilitating collaboration between the division’s estimating, preconstruction and operations teams to review and identify strategy of bid related to front end documents (such as general conditions and indirect cost), contract terms and other documents.
- Ensures the integrity of, and promotes the company’s brand strategy throughout the assigned region.
- Leads U.S. Engineering’s efforts around civic involvement, philanthropy and overall community relations.
- Responsible for continuously crafting and executing key internal communications plans regarding the region’s vision, strategies and goals.
- Actively champions the company’s cultural activities to ensure alignment with the enterprise’s overall goals and initiatives to enhance team member engagement.
- Creates a culture of innovative operational best practice and continuous improvement with an emphasis on leveraging standardized tools and processes that will facilitate the achievement of the organization’s objectives.
- Monitors and stays abreast of industry technology trends; adapts best practices in technology to advance the company’s capabilities.
- The Vice President of Project Development is responsible for the full scope of management within the project development functions for the assigned region/ This includes business development, estimating, and preconstruction services. This includes a balanced focus on our four focus areas: clients, people, performance, and growth.
- Directly involved, either personally or by delegation, in estimating general conditions for estimates.
- Ensures consistency of processes throughout the estimating and preconstruction functions, with a significant focus on quality control and accuracy.
- Responsible for managing estimating, preconstruction and business development efforts.
- Primary person responsible for local community involvement efforts, in coordination with the President.
- Expected to participate in the local and regional trade associations (e.g., DBIA, MCA, etc.)
- Oversees the region’s project development budgets and assists with the development of the regional budget. Additionally, partners with the Construction President and peers to develop the overall budget for U.S. Engineering Construction.
- Participates on the U.S. Engineering Construction Management Committee and the U.S. Engineering Company Holdings Management Committee.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or Business required
- Minimum of 5 years experience managing a project development function (estimating, business development, or preconstruction) within the construction industry.
- Minimum of 10 years overall experience in mechanical design, preconstruction services, estimating, business development, project management, or combination required. Prefer experience in more than one of these functions.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of the mechanical construction industry, including trends in marketplace and contractor operations. Possesses a keen understanding of how industry work is procured.
- Extensive knowledge of HVAC and plumbing systems, industry best practices, as well as engineering design expertise.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills; proven collaborator able to establish and foster effective professional relationships, internally and externally. Ability to articulate message, to be persuasive, and explain position to target audiences who may possess varying levels of technical knowledge.
- Superior time management and organizational skills. Displays a keen sense of urgency to deliver results.
- Business and financial acumen, combined with analytical thinking, resulting in the ability to manage the company’s opportunities, risk, profitability, volume, etc.
- Strategic and innovative thinker who can envision the future and lead and manage change efforts when necessary. Adaptable and flexible to a changing environment.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven ability to effectively manage diverse teams (including functional teams, project teams, etc.) to achieve results, despite multiple and changing priorities. Maintains focus on the goal.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical estimating practices and related software(s).
- Ability to identify and research potential opportunities, develop and execute procurement strategies, and leverage knowledge gained during the pre-award process to win proposal competitions.
- Strong customer service skills including the ability to solve problems while maintaining relationships.
Physical and/or travel demands:
- Work will be done in a combination of environments; includes office setting, job sites, external meetings, etc.
- Regular local driving is required - occasional travel to other regional offices and other areas with potential work opportunities (involving overnight stays) will be required.
- Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking, keyboarding, use of monitor and telephone. Occasional climbing, reaching, stooping and lifting required.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and job specifications required of employees so classified. U.S. Engineering reserves the right to revise as needed. The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.