This position is responsible for the clean and thorough preparatory work and safe application of various coatings to surfaces such as wood, drywall, steel, stone and block at a variety of interior and exterior work sites. Employee will use a variety of rollers, brushes and spray equipment on the job and handle the application of following paints: oil base, latex and epoxies.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Regular and predictable attendance is required – The scheduled working hours and days for this position are Monday-Friday from 7am to 3:30pm and will involve additional overtime (upon request).
- Preparation of the Job and Work Surface – Painter is responsible for careful and safe set-up of the materials at the work site, which could include setting up ladders or erecting scaffolding safely to perform tasks above ground level. Employee is responsible for thorough preparatory work of the surface(s); and cleanly filling nail holes, cracks and joints with putty plaster or appropriate material. Painter will also smooth surfaces, using sandpaper, brushes or steel wool and remove old paint as necessary from the work surface. Removal could include paint remover, scraper, wire brush to prepare surfaces for painting, and employee is comfortable in using those tools.
- Painting – Painter will use a variety of rollers, brushes and spray equipment on the job; and apply paints (oil base, latex and epoxy) to a variety of work surfaces including wood, drywall, steel, stone and block. Employee is responsible for knowing what level of preparation and paint application technique is the most appropriate for a given surface.
- Clean-Up – Employee also protects surfaces, trimmings, fixtures and windows, etc. as he/she works through and completes the painting assignment. Painter is always responsible for complete clean-up of the work site and putting tools and equipment back in its proper place.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE ‘REQUIRED’ FOR THE JOB:
Painting experience is required to meet the level of expertise for a company Painter as follows:
Apprentice: 6 Months – 4 Years’ experience; Journeyman: 4+ Years’ experience.
- High school education or (GED) or equivalent is requested, but not required.
- Must pass drug test and E-Verify.
- Must to able to provide own hand tools and reliable transportation to and from work.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES THAT ARE ‘IMPORTANT FOR SUCCESS’ IN THIS POSITION:
- Working knowledge of job safety as well as ability to complete a company safety orientation program.
- High standard of integrity and professionalism.
- Strong work ethic and follow-through on all job responsibilities.
- Ability to raise questions or concerns in a timely, proactive manner regarding the job/painting assignment.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents including blueprints.
- Position requires full range of upper extremities in the manipulation of materials used in the painting processes, combined with simultaneous mental and muscular coordination.
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds on a regular/constant basis and up to 100 pounds when needed. Reaching above the shoulders and at shoulder height while carrying 20 pounds is required on a regular/constant basis.
- Must be able to push/pull 20+ pounds on a regular/constant basis; and able to push/pull 50+ pounds frequently.
- Ability to stoop and bend/stand and walk is required on regular/constant basis.
- Climbing scaffolds and ladders of various heights is also required on a regular basis.
- The work environment is not always well-lighted, heated, air-conditioned indoor production setting with adequate ventilation and moderate noise.
- On occasion, the employee can be exposed to some air contamination (dust, paint fumes, smoke, disagreeable odors, airborne particles, etc.) and toxic or caustic chemicals in the work environment.
- On regular occasions, the employee will work above ground level where the possibility of falling exists.